Wednesday, March 28, 2018


- Some friends (at least, those who enjoy long, philosophical conversations) have heard me explain my opinion on Logic vs. Faith. Several have not, however. I think we all wonder about these things and I thought I'd share my own perspective...as well as this article, which is very interesting in its explanation behind the 'supposed' conflict between science and religion - 'supposed' because not all people believe there is a conflict. ^_^ I believe that there is a figurative sort of 'Tree of Divine Wisdom' which has two main branches. One is faith and the other is logic - both being of equal importance. In my opinion, the healthiest of us have 'branches' on that tree that are of equal length. The reason this is important is two-fold. When one is overly faithful, they tend to lack the logic to prevent themselves from falling prey to flights of emotional/spiritual fancy and/or are often easily misled by those who might manipulate them. They may also, in fact, be highly prone to become zealots. When one is overly dependent on logic, they can (and often do - note that suicide rates are commonly high in those with high IQs) 'reason' themselves into an untenable situation. This might cause people who lack faith to, say, grab an assault rifle and go shoot up a mall or take their own lives, thinking there is no hope or reasonable solution. This is a much better written (though, not as concise) version that is similar to my own perspective. Since this is, for nearly all humans, an existential question that we all seek an answer to, you might want to invest the time to read it. (y) #Faith #Logic #Science #Brain

No comments:

Post a Comment